The north porch and its parvise or chamber above the porch was erected by the Ven. James Wilson as a memorial to his only son, who is commemorated on the inner wall a Latin inscription, a free translation of which is:
To the Memory of William Burnet Dundas Wilson, who fell asleep in Christ at Cannes in France, December 5th, in the year of our Redemption, 1878, in the 18th year of his age. James Wilson devoted himself to the building of this porch. Glory to God.
The parvise, which was originally intended as a Chapter Room, is an addition to Sir Gilbert Scott's plans.
The Ven. Archdeacon Wilson has liberally offered to defray the cost of finishing a north porch, after a design by Mr Mountfort, and at a certain cost. Negations with reference to this work are pending with the present contractors, which, it is hoped, will a result satisfactorily.
Press, Volume XXXIV, Issue 4747, 20 October 1880, Page 3
The Rev James Wilson has decided to undertake the cost of the erection of the north porch the Commission have accepted his offer of this donation, and have instructed the architect to take the necessary steps to have this work carried out; the work will be put in hand at once and completed about the same time as the nave and aisles.
Star, Issue 4042, 4 April 1881, Page 3
The north porch, which is being erected at the cost of the Ven. Archdeacon Wilson, as a memorial to his son, is making steady progress.
Star, Issue 4093, 3 June 1881, Page 3
...The north porch is also fast approaching completion, and, as far as can be foreseen, the building will be ready to be opened on the 10th of August.
Press, Volume XXXV, Issue 4943, 21 June 1881, Page 2
...When two years ago, the chapel was enlarged, he gave the porch in memory of his eldest brother, Mr William Wilson, of the firm of Dundas, Wilson and Co., solicitors, of Edinburgh, and of his only son ... Having gone to England with his family in 1877, in the hope of saving the life of his son, then far gone in consumption, he returned towards the end of 1878, only to hear from Mrs Wilson, who had remained behind with their son on the Continent of Europe, the telegraphic news of his death at Cannes, which sad tidings reached him while he was attending a remarkable service held within the walls of the unfinished Cathedral to welcome the Bishop on his return from the second Lambeth Conference. This affecting incident bore fruit in the erection by him of the beautiful north porch of the Cathedral at a cost of £600 in memory of his only son...
Star, Issue 5520, 19 January 1886, Page 4