Clergyman, farmer, landowner
born 9 November 1813 Edinburgh, Scotland
born 9 November 1813 Edinburgh, Scotland
died 16 January 1886 "Broomfield", Riccarton, Christchurch, New Zealand
James Wilson was born in Edinburgh, Scotland in 1813, the son of William Wilson and Cecilia Gardner. His father who was a Clerk to the Signet died 5 July 1821, leaving an estate valued at £10,728. His grandfather John Gardner was a London merchant. His mother's uncle Sir David Dundas, 1st Baronet of Richmond was a medical attendant to George III.
|James Wilson was baptised at St Andrew's Parish Church, Edinburgh on 20 December 1813 by Rev Archibald Alison.|
He received his school education at the Edinburgh Academy, where he had among his contemporaries Archibald Campbell Tait, later the Archbishop of Canterbury (1868-1882). He then went to Trinity College, Cambridge, where he took in due course the degrees of B.A. and M.A. In 1836 he was ordained Deacon by Dr John Bird Sumner, then Bishop of Chester, afterwards Archbishop of Canterbury (1848-1862), from whom also he afterwards received Priest's Orders. Bird was the President of the Canterbury Association's Committee of Management.
He married Sibella Anne Morison on 4 April 1837, at Barnwell, Cambridge.
For about three years from 1836  he was Perpetual Curate at Ashton-on-Ribble at Preston, in Lancashire before moving to Solihull in Warwickshire. He held the Curacy of that parish until 1850. His mother died in Edinburgh in 1850. His wife's health made it necessary to find a warmer climate, for she had bronchitis every winter, and it was feared that her lungs would become affected. It was decided to emigrate to Canterbury.
The Wilsons had intended to travel to Canterbury on the ship "Castle Eden", but a member of the party had measles, and they had to wait for the "Isabella Hercus" which sailed 24 October 1850. The "Isabella Hercus" was the Canterbury Association's sixth ship; James Wilson travelled as Chaplain on this vessel. The party consisted of Mr and Mrs Wilson, Sibella, Cecilia, Kate, Beatrice, Margaret, Helen, a friend John Henry Charles Sidebottom, and four or five servants including Caroline Smith. The "Isabella Hercus" arrived in Lyttelton on 1 March 1851.
Sidebottom was an overseer for the Rhodes Brothers at Levels Station, South Canterbury and is known for apprehending James Mackenzie, the sheep stealer in 1855. He was the son of Rev. Henry Sidebottom of Trinity Parsonage, Halifax, Yorkshire. Later he became part owner of a run on the Waimakariri River, near Oxford, NZ and sold his share before his death on 17 April 1859 .
Land PurchaseJames Wilson was one original land purchasers under the Canterbury Association, which required rural allotments of at least 50 acres be bought at £3 an acre. His selection would include two town sections in either Lyttelton or Christchurch. The "List of First Orders of Choice for Land" shows James Wilson was the 74th order , this was made while he was still in England and the land selected after he arrived in New Zealand in March 1851. Selected was 50 acres on the Heathcote River at Opawa.
No. 74. James Wilson. 50 acres in the Christchurch district, commencing on the Heathcote River Road, 50 links below the south-east corner of Section 71, following- the north-eastern boundary of the said section 15 chains 20 links, thence in a northerly direction 321 chains, then at a right angle in an easterly direction 14 chains, and then in a southerly direction 39 chains to the starting- point, and numbered 74 on the chief surveyor's map .
|James Wilson selected rural section numbered 74 on the north bank of the Heathcote River.|
from - Sydenham - The Model Borough of Old Christchurch, 1977
The two quarter acre sections selected were one in Gloucester Street numbered CTS709 and one Worcester Street numbered 723 .
|James Wilson selected two town sections located between Cathedral Square and the Avon River.|
In about 1852 James Wilson built a house at Opawa, Christchurch which he named “Dullatur” after his brother's Scottish estate in the parish of Cumbernauld, then in the detached part of Dumbartonshire, today in North Lanarkshire. The Scottish "Dullatur" was formerly owned by his uncle Thomas Wilson (1758 – 1824) whose wife Martha Witherington was the widow of the Irish revolutionary figure Theobald Wolfe Tone (1763 – 1798).
The house located at the southern end of the section  was constructed mostly of Hobart-town timber with panelling of deal and baltic bolted together, other timber used being kauri and totara. A mast from a ship, supposed to belong to "one of the first four ships" was also built into the building. "Dullatur" was well known to all the early colonists and the beautiful garden and orchard was much admired by "old-timers." After the property was sold in about 1863 it was renamed "Wildwood". Later occupants included William and Jane Montgomery , Frederick Banks a corn merchant  who later leased the property to the Count de la Pasture  before selling it about 1878 to John H. Baker. The house was owned by John Brightling when it was demolished in 1915. Boards and box-lids with the name of the "Isabella Hercus" were found in the house.
"Dullatur" built about 1852 for Rev. Wilson.
Photograph courtesy of Christchurch City LibrariesCopyright © 1997–2005 Christchurch City Libraries. PhotoCD 4, IMG0093
Canterbury Times, 16 Dec. 1900, page 21
Lyttelton Times, Volume XIX, Issue 1091, 25 April 1863, Page 5
Lyttelton Times, Volume XX, Issue 1119, 1 August 1863, Page 6
Council member of the Philosophical Institute in 1868.
Press, Volume XIII, Issue 1730, 24 September 1868, Page 2
|The sale of "Wildwood" in 1876 by Frederick Banks|
Press, Volume XXVI, Issue 3500, 23 November 1876, Page 1
"Broomfield" - built for Archdeacon James Wilson.
"Broomfield" was located "on the main Yaldhurst Road about one mile above Riccarton Racecourse." 
Some later residents of "Broomfield" included: Michael Scott Campbell, 1887; Mr. J. R. Campbell, 1890; Mr. H. Jackson, 1900; Mr. B. T. Fowler, 1910; Mr and Mrs. Charles Richard Craythorne, 1921 and Ernest E. Jenkins, 1928
Photograph by Alfred Charles Barker, from the Alfred Charles Barker Collection,
Canterbury Museum ref. 1944.78.72.
The Broomfield block of land from which the Housing Corporation offered 50 sections for sale yesterday [10 September 1975] was named after a country seat near Leith in Scotland. The land, at the corner of Buchanans and Carmen Roads in Hornby, was part of an 1150 acre estate brought in 1859 by one of Christchurch's wealthiest landowners, Mr James Wilson, who later became Archdeacon of Christchurch. He moved there from his estate in Waltham. The original Broomfield estate was first sub-divided in 1908. Mr A.C. Loach, the Historic Places Trust's field officer, suggested the Broomfield name to the Housing Corporation.
The Press, 11 September 1975, page 3
"Broomfield" is shown on page 71 of "Lost Christchurch" by John Wilson, 1984. Broomfield, a large cottage in appearance with prominent triangular dormers and a deep verandah, was built in the 1850's (sic). It eventually burned down."
Church Property Trustee - Clerical 1861
Lyttelton Times, Volume XV, Issue 852, 9 January 1861, Page 5
Member of the Diocesan Synod from 31 May 1861.
Press, Volume I, Issue 3, 8 June 1861, Page 5
Elected Member of the Council of the Philosophical Institute of Canterbury at its formation in 1862.
Lyttelton Times, Volume XVIII, Issue 1024, 3 September 1862, Page 4
Member of the Cathedral Commission 1862.
Lyttelton Times, Volume XVIII, Issue 1055, 20 December 1862, Page 5
Subscribed £100 to the construction of Christ Church Cathedral.
Lyttelton Times, Volume XVIII, Issue 1058, 31 December 1862, Page 6
Family of Archdeacon James Wilson and Sibella Anne Morison.
James Wilson was born in Edinburgh on 9 November 1813 the youngest son of William Wilson and Cecilia Gardiner. He was baptised at St Andrew's Parish Church, Edinburgh on 20 December 1813 by Rev Archibald Alison. His siblings were Elizabeth, William, Margaret, John and Thomas Wilson. He arrived Lyttelton, New Zealand aged 37 years with his wife and children on the "Isabella Hercus" 1 March 1851, died 16 January 1886 at "Broomfield", Riccarton aged 72 years, buried Churchyard of St Peter's Anglican Church, Upper Riccarton, Christchurch.
He married Sibella Anne Morison on 4 April 1837, at Barnwell, Cambridge, England . Sibella Anne Morison was baptised 15 February 1818 Ghazeepore, Bengal, India , the daughter of John Morison and Anne Sloane, arrived Lyttelton on the "Isabella Hercus" 1 March, 1851, she died 28 July 1900 at "Comberton", Upper Riccarton  aged 82 years, buried Churchyard of St Peter's Anglican Church, Upper Riccarton, Christchurch.
issue - eight daughters, one son:
1. Sibella Mary Wilson born circa 1840, reg. Preston, Jun 1840 vol. 21 page 592, bapt. 31 May 1840 St Johns, Preston, Lancashire, England  arrived Lyttelton on the "Isabella Hercus" 1 March, 1851, died 7 September 1929 aged 89 years, buried St Peter's Churchyard, Riccarton, married 2 March 1859 at St Michael's Church, Christchurch, George Arthur Emilius Ross, youngest son and 14th child of Edward Dalhousie Ross and Euphemia Louisa Fell , bapt. 17 May 1829, St. Peter's, Dorchester, Dorset, England , died 23 November 1876 aged 48 years, buried St Peter's Churchyard, Riccarton.
1a. Edward James Ross born 29 January 1860 at "Dullatur" , reg. 1860/9651, died 14 April 1937, buried 16 April 1937 Waimairi Cemetery, Christchurch block AN11 plot 41, of the legal firm Rhodes, Ross and Godby, married 24 January 1889 at St Mary's Church, Merivale, Jane Wilson Cox the daughter of Mary McPherson and Alfred Cox, Esq., of Merivale , died 14 October 1952, buried Waimairi Cemetery, Christchurch, 16 October 1952, block AN11, plot 41.
Hugh MacPherson Ross born 1890, reg. 1890/3438
John William Turton Ross born 1891, reg. 1891/7143
Arthur George Francis Ross born 1895, reg. 1895/12500 , school teacher, Dunsandel
Mary Sibella Ross born 1902, reg. 1902/6272, married 1926, reg. 1926/382, Laurie Stringer Ayers
1b. Sibella Euphemia Ross born 23 January 1861 at "Dullatur", Christchurch, reg. 1861/247, died 28 May 1934, Christchurch, buried 30 May 1934, Barbadoes Street Cemetery, Christchurch, married 23 January 1919 at St John's Church, Latimer Square, Christchurch, reg. 1919/883, Walter Harper, Dean of Christchurch, son of Henry John Chitty Harper, he died 6 January 1930. No issue.
1c. George Henry Dunbar Ross born 21 March 1862 "Waireka", Malvern Hills , reg. 1862/66, in 1895 farming at "Waireka", Cardinia Creek, Victoria, died 27 May 1928, 128 Church Street, Brighton, Melbourne, Australia , married 11 April 1894, St Colomb's Church, Hawthorn, Victoria reg. 2044 Emma Martha Cook, eldest daughter of Emma Bartlett Mansfield and William Cook of Tintern, Glenferrie Road, Upper Hawthorne, her sister Elizabeth Cook was the second wife of Augustus Sandford Keats Roe, M.P. of Perth, she died 18 May 1943, 25 College Street, Elsternwick, Melbourne aged 88 years 
Katharine Emma Wilson Ross, born 17 February 1895 "Waireka", Cardinia Creek, Victoria, Australia, reg. 1103
1d. Cecilia Elizabeth Ross ("Dolly") born 20 August 1863 "Stoneycroft" , died 9 May 1939, buried Bromley Cemetery, Christchurch block 38 plot 161, married 8 April 1891 at St Michael's Church, Christchurch, Horace Edgar Musgrave  son of Edgar Musgrave of Shillington Manor and Henrietta Maria Teschemaker, born 3 September 1861 at no. 1. Beacon, Exmouth, died 30 June 1924 at "Edenhill" Mount Pleasant, Christchurch, buried Bromley Cemetery block 38, plot 161 aged 62 years.
Ethel Marion Musgrave born 3 February 1892, 158 Montreal Street, Christchurch, reg. 1892/3880, died 1976, reg. 1976/43007
Christopher Musgrave born 1 February 1893, 158 Montreal Street, Christchurch, reg. 1893/4206, service no. 6/843, Corporal, Canterbury Infantry Battalion, Main Body, married 11 September 1936 at St Andrew's, Hingham, Dorothy France second daughter of George Thornton France J.P.
Julian Musgrave (daughter) born 16 October 1894 at Orari, registered as 17 October 1894, reg. 1895/4320, married 1918, reg. 1918/5393 (as Julian Musgrove), Edward James Lee Williams
Geoffrey Musgrave born 27 April 1896, Orari, reg. 1896/17756, service no. 21716, Corporal, 16th Reinforcements, Canterbury Infantry Battalion, C Company, New Zealand Expeditionary Force
Barbara Musgrave born 30 June 1898, reg. 1898/17592, married 18 April 1929 St John's Church, Latimer Square, Christchurch, Dr. James Keith Davidson of Kaikoura
Maxwell Morison Musgrave born 1 August 1900, reg. 1900/13690, died 1973, reg 1973/41804, married 1932 St John's Church, Ethel Margot Moir third daughter of W. J. Moir of Flaxton
Helen Aroha Musgrave born 25 June 1901, reg. 1901/15915, died 1988, reg. 1988/43468
Alison Sibella Musgrave born 30 April 1907, reg. 1907/12844, married 27 November 1930 at the Pro-Cathedral, Lourenço Marques Portuguese East Africa, now Maputo, Mozambique, Francis Spence of Lourenço Marques.
Sylvia Mary Musgrave born 30 April 1907, reg. 1907/12846, married A. E. Bircks of South Africa circa 1931
1e. Charles Frederick Mackenzie Ross  born circa 1865 (registration of birth not found), lived at "Rosehill", Waverley, died 3 or 4 October 1935, Waverley aged 70 years, reg. 1935/23038, married 25 June 1907 St Luke's Church, Greytown North reg. 1907/2650, Julia Smith, second daughter Clara and George. F. Smith of Matarawa , she died 22 September 1939 at a private nursing home in Auckland .
Philip Mackenzie Ross born 1909, reg. 1909/21252
1f. Margaret Louisa Ross born 21 August 1866, reg. 1866/33894, died 27 May 1949 aged 82 years, reg. 1949/23361.
1g. Rachel Lucy Ross, Music teacher, Associate of the Royal College of Music, born 19 July 1868, reg. 1868/26817, died 7 May 1937, reg./23220 aged 68 years, buried 10 May 1937 Waimairi Cemetery, Christchurch block AN11 plot 44.
1h. Philip Hedgeland Ross  (Doctor) born 13 August 1876, reg. 1876/10247, died 7 August 1929 aged 52 years, England, reg. Sept 1929 Sherborne vol. 5a page 327, buried Sherbourne Cemetery , Government Bacteriologist, Nairobi, East African Protectorate, he spent his active career in Africa working on trypanosomiasis, relapsing fever and malaria, married Constance Vere ... born 25 February 1885, died 1 June 1977, of Little Tarrel, Sheets Heath, Brookwood, Surrey.
Ian David Hedgeland Ross, born circa 1911, married 1946, reg. March 1946, Sydney G. King-Mason
Rachel Lucy Ross
Cyclopedia of New Zealand
vol. 3 - Canterbury Provincial District
2. Cecilia Anne Wilson born circa 1842, reg. Preston Mar 1842, vol. 21 page 587, bapt. 27 February 1842 St Johns, Preston, Lancashire, England , arrived Lyttelton on the "Isabella Hercus" 1 March, 1851, died 7 October 1862 at "Waireka", Canterbury, aged 20 years of consumption, reg. 1862/1726, buried Barbadoes Street Cemetery plot 60, married 3 July 1861 at St Michael's Church, Christchurch, reg. 1861/3416, Charles John Harper son of Emily Woolridge and Henry John Chitty Harper the first Anglican Bishop of Christchurch. Charles John Harper married secondly 13 February 1867 at St Mary's Church, Halswell, Sarah Cracroft a first cousin of Sir John Cracroft Wilson. He died 6 September 1920 Ashburton.
3. Katharine Wilson born circa 1844, reg. Solihull Mar 1844 vol. 16 page 493 as Katherine Wilson, arrived Lyttelton on the "Isabella Hercus" 1 March, 1851, died 19 May 1929 at her residence "Giramonte" 35 Hackthorne Road, Cashmere, aged 85 years, reg. 1929/3565, buried Churchyard of St Peter's Anglican Church, Upper Riccarton, Christchurch.
4. Beatrice Wilson born about 1846, bapt. 30 August 1846, Solihull, Warwick, England , arrived Lyttelton on the "Isabella Hercus" 1 March, 1851, died 23 March 1913 , married 18 May 1869, St Peter's Church, Riccarton, witnessed by Margaret Wilson, Randolph Mainwaring, Croasdaile Bowen and D. MacFarlan(e), Frederick de Carteret Malet, reg. 1869/9585, Chairman of Directors of the Bank of New Zealand, died 22 March 1912, buried Riccarton Churchyard .
4a. Leonard De Carteret Malet (of "Clearwell", Hinds) born 27 March 1870, reg. 1870/28195, died 10 June 1938, married 15 December 1897, St Peter's Church, Riccarton, reg. 1897/3587 Eleana Anna Stopford, youngest daughter of Admiral Robert Fanshawe Stopford of Richmond, Surrey, England. Eleana Stopford's brother Francis James Stopford married Catherine Mary Howard Tripp the daughter of C. G. Tripp of Orari Gorge, and a granddaughter of Henry John Chitty Harper.
4b. Beatrice Ann Sibella Malet born 24 July 1875, reg. 1875/12076, married 28 August 1900 at St Michael and All Angels' Church, reg. 1900/2039, John Allan Randall son of the Very Rev. the Dean of Chichester . He died in England in 1901 , she married secondly 21 July 1913 at the Roman Catholic Cathedral, Westminster, Eric Tristram Harper, All Black, killed in Palestine 30 April 1918, Canterbury Mounted Rifles, N.Z.E.F. son of George and Agnes Harper, of 11, Cashel St., Christchurch and grandson of Henry John Chitty Harper.
4c. Robert James Malet born 15 November 1877, reg. 1878/1901.
4d. Colonel William de Carterel Malet, born 7 April 1884, reg. 1884/12051, died in England, March 1933, an officer in the Indian Army for many years, married 28 October 1912 St Mary's Church, Merivale, Gwendolyn Marian a'Beckett Thomas, daughter of Mr. C. F. Thomas the Manager of the Bank of New Zealand in Christchurch . Son Frederick Malet.
William Campbell Walker
by E. Wheeler & Son, Christchurch
5. Margaret Wilson born circa 1848, bapt. 11 September 1848, Solihull, Warwick, England , arrived Lyttelton on the "Isabella Hercus" 1 March, 1851, died 14 February 1934, buried Sydenham Cemetery, block 20c, plot 58, married 14 June 1871 at St Peter's Church, Riccarton, by the Rev. James Wilson, William Campbell Walker CMG, MLC reg. 1871/8844, born 1837 Rowlandston, Midlothian, eldest son of Sir William Stuart Walker  and grandson of Brigadier-General Alexander Walker, East India Company Governor of St Helena , died 5 January 1904 at his residence, Port Hills, Christchurch, buried Sydenham Cemetery, Christchurch , block 20C plot 59.
5a. Margaret Walker born 9 June 1872, reg. 1872/30281, died 10 September 1951, 48 Dyers Pass Road, Cashmere, Christchurch, buried Sydenham Cemetery, block 20C plot 59.
5b. William James Dundas Walker born 11 July 1873, reg. 1873/33306, died 17 April 1953 Christchurch, buried Sydenham Cemetery, block 20C plot 57 (the actor "Dundas Walker").
5c. Graham Lock Walker born 14 December 1874, reg. 1875/6381, died 15 August 1958 reg. 1958/35376.
5d. Colin Majoribanks Walker [or Majorbanks] born 14 November 1876, reg. 1876/17515, died 26 April 1913 “Godesberg" Cashmere, Christchurch aged 35, buried Sydenham Cemetery, block 20C plot 57 (Gentleman).
5e. Cecil Ramsay Walker born 25 September 1878, reg. 1878/8915, died April 1961 Christchurch, reg. 1961/25448.
5f. Alexander James Walker (mining engineer) born circa 1880, reg. 1880/11253, died 23 July 1957 Whangarei, married 9 November 1912, reg. 1912/5500, Amelia Trembath Vera Dewsbury Hosking daughter of Amelia Trembath Matthews and George Francis Hosking, C.E., F.G.S. Consulting Engineer to the Glenrock Gold Mining Company, Otago, she died 27 April 1955, aged 72 years, reg. 1955/33323, her ashes buried Waikumete Cemetery, Auckland
Margaret Elizabeth Walker born 7 September 1914, reg. 1915/2358, died 21 January 1978, reg. 1978/29771
Barbara Winifred Walker born 24 or 25 January 1917, reg. 1917/9869, died 15 May 1986, reg. 1986/37495
Colin Wilson Walker born 9 March 1918, reg. 1918/19091, died 15 August 1953 aged 35 years, reg. 1953/34353. 1946, surveyor, 1953 - forestry worker of Pinedale, Tokoroa, cremated at Waikumete Cemetery
Roger Alexander Walker, born 23 July 1919, died 2 September 1982, reg. 1982/38959 (wife Barbara Mary)
6. Helen Mary Bolton Wilson born circa 1850, bapt. 8 September 1850, Solihull, Warwick, England , arrived Lyttelton on the "Isabella Hercus" 1 March, 1851, died 23 October 1931, New Zealand, reg. 1931/13009, aged 81 years, buried Churchyard of St Peter's Anglican Church, Upper Riccarton, Christchurch.
7. Agnes Louisa Wilson born 4 June 1852, "Dullatur", Christchurch, New Zealand, bapt. 25 July 1852 St Michael's Church and All Angel's Church, Christchurch, sponsors Octavius Mathias, Emily Jacobs and Sarah Anna Willock, died 16 March 1875 at "Broomfield", Riccarton aged 20 years  or 22 years  of consumption, reg, 1875/2048, buried Churchyard of St Peter's Anglican Church, Upper Riccarton, Christchurch.
8. Marion Alice Wilson born 26 March 1855 "Dullatur", Christchurch, Christchurch, reg. 1855/4718, bapt. 22 April 1855 St Michael's Church and All Angel's Church, Christchurch, sponsors Anna Bowen, Emma Barker [nee Bacon wife of Dr. Alfred Charles Barker] and George Arthur Emilius Ross, died 20 January 1946, reg. 1946/19394, buried Woodbury Cemetery plot 4/115 , married 14 October 1880 at St Peter's Church, Riccarton , reg. 1880/180, William Parsons Turton born 28 October 1842 Hussungabad, India son of John Turton (Major, East India Co.) and Jane Robson. He died 2 December 1926 Woodbury, aged 84 years, buried Woodbury Cemetery plot 4/114 , no issue found.
9. William Burnet Dundas Wilson born 18 May 1860 at "Dullatur", Christchurch , reg. 1860/9958, bapt. 17 June 1860 at St Michael's Church and All Angel's Church, Christchurch, sponsors Charles Joseph Bridge , Charles John Harper and Isabella Wilson (Sibella Wilson?), died 5 December 1878 Cannes, France of consumption. The North Porch and Parvise of Christchurch Cathedral was erected by James Wilson as a memorial to his only son, who is commemorated on the inner wall by a Latin inscription, translated as: "To the memory of WILLIAM BURNET DUNDAS WILSON, who feel asleep in Christ at Cannes in France, December 5th, in the year of our Redemption, 1878, in the 18th year of his age. JAMES WILSON devoted himself to the building of this porch, Glory to God."
Archdeacon's children in order of their date of death:
2. Cecilia Anne Wilson, died 7 October 1862
7. Agnes Louisa Wilson, died 16 March 1875
9. William Burnet Dundas Wilson, died 5 December 1878
4. Beatrice Wilson, died 23 March 1913
3. Katharine Wilson, died 19 May 1929
1. Sibella Mary Wilson, died 7 September 1929
6. Helen Mary Bolton Wilson, died 23 October 1931
5. Margaret Wilson, died 14 February 1934
8. Marion Alice Wilson, died 20 January 1946
|The battered headstone at Riccarton of Archdeacon Wilson. The lower part of this headstone has been set in a later concrete berm.|
|above and below - the grave and headstone at St Peter's, Upper Riccarton of Katharine Wilson and Helen Mary Bolton Wilson.|
Sibella Anne MorisonMRS S. A. WILSON. Another old Canterbury colonist, in the person of Mrs Sibella Anne Wilson, relict of the late Archdeacon Wilson, passed away on Saturday. The deceased lady, who was eighty-two years of age, arrived in Canterbury by the Isabella Hercus, the sixth ship in order of arrival, chartered by the Canterbury Association, and underwent all the hardships of pioneer life. She always took a great interest in Church matters, and showed sympathy with all who required assistance.
Two of her daughters and a son are dead, but six daughters, eighteen grandchildren and nine great grandchildren are left to mourn their loss. The funeral of the deceased will leave her late residence at Riccarton for the Riccarton Cemetery at 2.30 p.m. to-day.
Star, Issue 6860, 30 July 1900, Page 1
Katharine WilsonObituary. At her home, "Giramonte" Hackthorne Road, Cashmere, there passed away on Sunday last one who was very well known to the older residents of Christchurch — Miss Katharine Wilson the third-daughter of the late Archdeacon James Wilson, who, with her family, arrived in Christchurch in the ship Isabella Hercus, in 1851, says the "Press." The family lived first at Opawa, and later moved to Upper Riccarton. Miss Wilson was educated at Mrs. Charles Thompson's school, and in the late seventies went to England and trained as a nurse at St. Thomas's Hospital, London, and the Edinburgh Infirmary. Returning to Christchurch a few years later; Miss Wilson lived with her friend Miss Lohse, who, at that time, conducted a very successful private school for girls, until 1890, when both went abroad. In 1893 Miss Wilson returned to New Zealand, and remained here till 1901, when she went back to Italy to rejoin Miss Lohse, and lived with her in Florence until that lady died in 1912, when she once more came back to Christchurch, and made her home at Cashmere. Miss Wilson was keenly interested in the care of orphan children, and in the early days of the Government boarding-out scheme, she was the local secretary, and did a great deal of valuable work in that connection. She was an interesting, cultured, and charming woman, and though she had lived in retirement for a number of years, she will be sadly missed by many who were privileged to enjoy her friendship.
Evening Post, Volume CVII, Issue 117, 22 May 1929, Page 13
The Ven James Wilson, M.A. Very many of our readers, those especially whose residence in Canterbury dates from an early period, must have read with sincere regret the announcement which appeared in our issue of yesterday of the death of Archdeacon Wilson. For although the venerable gentleman has lived in comparative retirement for several years past, he was widely known and respected, and old Colonists have not forgotten what a prominent figure he was in the early days of Canterbury, both as a clergyman and a Colonist, and how important was the influence he exercised both in the affairs of the diocese and in all matters affecting the social welfare of the young community.
Mr Wilson was born in Edinburgh, on Nov. 9, 1813, and was sprung from an old Scottish family, which had adhered to the Episcopal Church of his native land. We have heard him say more than once that he numbered among his ancestors the famous historian and divine, Bishop Burnet. He received his school education at the Edinburgh Academy, where he had among his contemporaries the late Archbishop of Canterbury, Dr Tait. Thence he went to Trinity College, Cambridge, where he took in due course the degrees of B.A. and M.A.. Ordained Deacon in 1836 by Dr Sumner, then Bishop of Chester, afterwards Archbishop of Canterbury, from whom also he afterwards received Priest's Orders, he held for some years a Curacy at Preston, in Lancashire. Removing thence to Solihull, in Warwickshire, he held the Curacy of that parish until he left England to become a Canterbury colonist. He was one of the original land purchasers under the Canterbury Association, and came out as Chaplain of the sixth ship, the Isabella Hercus, which arrived in Lyttelton on March 1, 1851. His land had been chosen for him on the Heathcote, near Wilson's bridge, which was named from him, as was also Wilson's road and there, on his arrival, he built a house, which he named Dullatur, after an old family residence in Scotland. Thence, in 1863, he removed to Broomfield, Upper Riccarton, where he died on Saturday last, Jan. 16.
As a land-owner and farmer, and, in particular, as an expert in all kinds of machinery he was the first farmer, by the way, on the Canterbury Plains to possess a threshing machine— he did much to promote the material advancement of the settlement in its early days, in which he was familiarly known as "Parson Wilson," to distinguish him from others of the same surname. But his chief interest was in Church matters. The comparative failure of the Canterbury Association to fulfil the expectations held out to intending land purchasers, with regard to the supply of churches and schools, the maintenance of clergy, and the appointment of a bishop, caused great anxiety and embarrassment to Churchmen in those early days, and led to intricate and delicate negotiations with Mr Henry Sewell, when he came out to the Colony in February, 1853, as representative of the Association, to wind up its affairs, and to carry out, in conference with the Colonists themselves, the original plans of the Association with such modifications as circumstances rendered necessary. The chief problems to be solved were, first, the establishment of the Bishopric endowment on a secure basis, the appointment of the first Bishop, the foundation of the College, and the settlement of the Church property. A period of scarcely less than four years was occupied in these arrangements, which necessitated, at many points, the intervention of the Provincial Council and Executive, and very few of those who are now enjoying the fruits of those labours are aware of the amount of anxious toil, disappointment, and vexation which attended them. In this perplexing and weary work, Mr Wilson took an active and leading part, and by his sagacity and energy, his determination and perseverance, he contributed largely towards the ultimate establishment of the Church and Church education in Canterbury on a sound basis.
It is hardly necessary to say that he was one of the framers of the Church Property Trust Ordinance, one of the first Trustees nominated in it, one of the framers of the Deed of Foundation and Statutes of Christ's College, Canterbury, and one of the first body of Fellows. Nor must we omit to mention that over and above this work of organisation, Mr Wilson, though he held no definite cure, ever manifested the deepest and liveliest interest in the direct spiritual welfare of his fellow-colonists, and assisted largely in promoting it, both in the pulpit and in society. After the arrival from England of the Bishop of Christchurch, in December, 1856, not only were Mr Wilson's exertions on behalf of the diocese unabated, but he became actively engaged in the important work which, under the direction of the master mind of New Zealand's first great Bishop, was then occupying the minds of Churchmen the organisation of the Church in the Ecclesiastical Province. Together with the late Mr H. J. Tancred, he accompanied Bishop Harper to Auckland, and took a prominent part in the Conference of bishops, clergy, and laity held there in June, 1857, with Bishop Selwyn as its President, when the Church Constitution was framed and promulgated. The present Bishop of Wellington, then Archdeacon Hadfield, and the Rev James Wilson were appointed a Committee to draw up the report of the Conference, setting forth the grounds on which the Constitution is based, and they were the joint authors of that lucid and important historical document. But, although he took this active interest in the work of the Conference, he was not altogether satisfied from the first with some of the features of the proposed Constitution, and this dissatisfaction increased to such an extent afterwards, and he found so much sympathy with his views in Canterbury, that he subsequently became the prime mover in the Diocesan Synod of Christchurch of an agitation in favour of an alteration of some of the leading provisions of the Constitution, or, failing that, of a secession of this Diocese from the synodical system of New Zealand an agitation which at one time portended something approaching to a schism, but which was happily ended, after much wordy warfare, by the adoption of a Revised Constitution by the General Synod which sat at Christchurch, in 1865. In a brief memoir, like the present, it would be out of place to speak of this matter in greater detail suffice it to say, that one of the main concessions obtained by this movement, was a larger measure of independence for Diocesan Synods, especially in the matter of church property.
During the nine or ten years which followed the date last mentioned, it would be difficult to name any important church work, or any effort for the welfare of the community at large, in which he was not a prime leader; of many he was the life and soul. Always devoted to the interests of Christ's College, he was one of the chief promoters of the erection of the College Chapel, and by far the largest contributor to the building fund. This was in 1867. When, two years ago, the chapel was enlarged, he gave the porch in memory of his eldest brother, Mr William Wilson, of the firm of Dundas, Wilson and Co., solicitors, of Edinburgh, and of his only son. He was also one of the earliest and most energetic movers in the building of the Cathedral, and one of the very first subscribers towards its erection. Having gone to England with his family in 1877, in the hope of saving the life of his son, then far gone in consumption, he returned towards the end of 1878, only to hear from Mrs Wilson, who had remained behind with their son on the Continent of Europe, the telegraphic news of his death at Cannes, which sad tidings reached him while he was attending a remarkable service held within the walls of the unfinished Cathedral to welcome the Bishop on his return from the second Lambeth Conference. This affecting incident bore fruit in the erection by him of the beautiful north porch of the Cathedral at a cost of £600 in memory of his only son. We may mention here that on the constitution by the Bishop, on the advice of the Synod, of the Cathedral Chapter in 1866, Mr Wilson was appointed one of the first body of Canons, and that he accepted, also from His Lordship, in 1871 the appointment of Archdeacon of Christchurch. It would be difficult, indeed, to enumerate all the Church offices he bore, and the important duties he discharged, at various times, but we must not omit to mention that he sat as one of the chosen representatives of the clergy of the diocese at three of the triennial sessions of the General Synod, namely, at Christchurch in 1865, at Dunedin in 1871, and at Wellington in 1874 but in the month of September of the year last mentioned, he unexpectedly resigned all his offices, including his Fellowship of Christ's College, impelled to do so by possibly an exaggerated apprehension of failing health and eyesight. Yet, although from this time his regular work in the service of the Church came to an end, he was by no means idle his influence was felt in the diocese in many ways.
The parish of Riccarton, in which he lived, and the district of Sumner, where also of late years he had a residence, benefited especially by his labours and his liberality. Nor must we omit to mention for it was a work which he had very deeply at heart that, two or three years before his resignation of his offices, he instituted a Sunday service at the Sunnyside Asylum for the insane. On weekdays also, he frequently visited the inmates, and was never weary of pleading their cause and studying their comfort.
No memoir, however brief, of the Venerable Archdeacon Wilson, would be complete which should fail to make mention of the services he rendered to the community as an amateur musician. Devotedly fond of music, he had a fine tenor voice, and a cultivated taste, and there are some among us who can remember how great a treat it was to listen in particular to his exquisite rendering of "Comfort ye, My People." He was at one time an active member of the Musical Society, and on the occasion before mentioned, of the meeting of the General Synod in Christchurch in 1865, he organised a concert of sacred music as a suitable entertainment for the members of that body, and one which fitly symbolised the harmonious and peaceful close of a somewhat stormy session. It is remarkable that on the very evening before his last illness came on, that is, on Thursday last, he spent some time in the calm enjoyment of music and singing among some young friends in the quiet of his home. We must now bring this brief notice to a close, but not without mentioning that at one time the Venerable Archdeacon was frequent and valued contributor to the leading columns of this journal.
He never enjoyed robust health, and often in his best days complained of lassitude and weakness. Of late years his health has had failed greatly a second visit to England in 1883 seemed to do him much good but since September last there had been a manifest change. From that time he never ventured out except in a close carriage and on Friday morning last, the paralysis which he had himself for a long time apprehended came upon him, but very gently and gradually. In the course of a few hours he became, first partially, then entirely, unconscious. By the mercy of God, he was spared suffering and a lingering illness, and at half -past three on Saturday afternoon, sank peacefully to rest.
The respectful sympathy of the community will be with his widow and family. He leaves two single, three married, and one widowed daughter, besides many grandchildren. One brother, Admiral Wilson, C.8., and one sister, Miss Wilson, are still living in Edinburgh. No one who knew the Archdeacon could fail to recognise his great ability. He was a clear and logical writer, a luminous and forcible speaker, and an admirable preacher. The matter of his sermons was at all times good, but, in former times, when he preached from an M.S., nearness of sight interfered considerably with the effectiveness of his delivery of late years, since he discarded the M.S., he has been the very model, in most respects, of what an extempore preacher should be. He was always careful in the preparation of his sermons, and himself was wont to say that nothing in a sermon should be extemporaneous save the language. He was wise in counsel, cool in judgment, liberal in spirit, cautious but decided in action. There was a great charm in his manner, and in the tones of his voice, and he was no mean master in what someone has lately called the forgotten art of conversation. Above all, his religion was unostentatious, but deep-seated and sincere. His light was thrust in no one's face, but it shone brightly, though quietly, before men. May his example long live and bear fruit among us!
(brother of Archdeacon Wilson)Admiral Thomas Wilson, C.B., F.R.G.S. died at his residence, 46 Palmerston Place, Edinburgh aged 83 years , married 28 December 1859, Parish Church, Wandsworth [then Captain Thomas Wilson H.M.S, St. Vincent], Isabella Kinloch, younger daughter of the late Charles Kinloch Esq., of Gourdie, Perthshire, Captain in H.M. 52nd L.I. . Isabella Wilson died 1 January 1886 at 46 Palmerston Place, Edinburgh .
below - China War Medal 1842 with awarded to Admiral Thomas Wilson, Royal Navy
photographs of Admiral Thomas Wilson's China War Medal courtesy of
P.O. Box 3794, Sudbury, Suffolk, CO10 9PQ, United Kingdom.
Aberdeen Weekly Journal (Aberdeen, Scotland), Tuesday, October 16, 1894; Issue 12390.
Hampshire Telegraph and Sussex Chronicle etc (Portsmouth, England), Saturday, October 20, 1894; Issue 5903.
Ancestry.com. Scotland, Select Births and Baptisms, 1564-1950 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc., 2014.
ServantsJames Wilson brought at least four servants with him from England on the "Isabella Hercus". Charles Chince (Chinn?) and John James were both agricultural labourers aged 19 years and Caroline Smith aged 28 and Emma Price aged 30 were both domestic servants .
born circa 1819
died 30 July 1900 aged 81 years, reg. 1900/4957
buried Linwood Cemetery, block 1, plot 20
Press, Volume LVII, Issue 10722, 31 July 1900, Page 6
|The headstone at Riccarton of Caroline Smith who for 39 years was a servant in the family of Archdeacon Wilson.|
Press, Volume XLI, Issue 6025, 7 January 1885, Page 2
 "England Marriages, 1538–1973 ," index, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/NJBB-CTP : accessed 19 Apr 2014), James Wilson and Sibella Anne Morison, 04 Apr 1837; citing Barnwell,Cambridge,England, reference ; FHL microfilm 496705.
 "India, Births and Baptisms, 1786-1947," index, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FGS1-BZP : accessed 19 Apr 2014), Sibella Anne Morison, 15 Feb 1818; citing Bengal, India, reference v 10 p 635; FHL microfilm 498610.
 "England Births and Christenings, 1538-1975," index, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/N5PR-PM9 : accessed 19 Apr 2014), Sibella Mary Wilson, 31 May 1840; citing SAINT JOHN, PRESTON, LANCASHIRE, ENGLAND, reference ; FHL microfilm 94009, 94010.
 "England Births and Christenings, 1538-1975," index, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/JWJ1-BNL : accessed 19 Apr 2014), Cecilia Anne Wilson, 27 Feb 1842; citing SAINT JOHN, PRESTON, LANCASHIRE, ENGLAND, reference ; FHL microfilm 94009, 94010.
 "England, Warwickshire Parish Registers, 1538-1900," index, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XXR4-BNL : accessed 19 Apr 2014), Beatrice Wilson, 30 Aug 1846, Christening; citing Solihull, Warwickshire, England, Record Office, Warwick; FHL microfilm 234507.
 "England Births and Christenings, 1538-1975," index, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/NTRS-Y4M : accessed 19 Apr 2014), Margaret Wilson, 11 Sep 1848; citing Solihull, Warwick, England, reference yr 1837-1855 p 9; FHL microfilm 198753.
 "England, Warwickshire Parish Registers, 1538-1900," index, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XXRH-M9V : accessed 19 Apr 2014), Helen Mary Bolton Wilson, 08 Sep 1850, Christening; citing Solihull, Warwickshire, England, Record Office, Warwick; FHL microfilm 234507.
 Press, Volume XVIII, Issue 2534, 15 June 1871, Page 2
 Press, Volume XXIII, Issue 2986, 17 March 1875, Page 2
 Star, Issue 3900, 16 October 1880, Page 2
 Press, Volume XLVI, Issue 7264, 25 January 1889, Page 4
 Star, Issue 6886, 29 August 1900, Page 3
 Star, Issue 7029, 20 February 1901, Page 3
 Star , Issue 4970, 7 June 1894, Page 2
 Evening Post, Volume CXV, Issue 63, 16 March 1933, Page 13
 Press, Volume XLIX, Issue 14624, 27 March 1913, Page 1
 Press, Volume LXVIII, Issue 14310, 22 March 1912, Page 8
 Headstone Riccarton
25 301 Chince? Charles 19 M England Agricultural Laborer Rev. J. Wilson
5 302 James John 19 M England Agricultural Laborer Rev. James Wilson
27 326 348 Smith Caroline 28 F England Domestic Servant Rev. J. Wilson
58 Price Emma 30 F England Domestic Servant Rev. J. Wilson
 Star, Issue 6860, 30 July 1900, Page 3
 Otago Witness, Issue 2599, 6 January 1904, Page 46
 Press, Volume XLVIII, Issue 7832, 9 April 1891, Page 4
 Hampshire Telegraph and Sussex Chronicle etc (Portsmouth, England), Saturday, December 31, 1859; Issue 3143.
 Star, Issue 5119, 29 November 1894, Page 2
 The Morning Post (London, England), Wednesday, January 06, 1886; pg. ; Issue 35427
 The Clergy List for 1841 - Ashton-on-Ribble Perpetual Curate James Wilson M.A. 1836
 Lyttelton Times, Volume XV, Issue 858, 30 January 1861, Page 4
 Lyttelton Times, Volume XIII, Issue 786, 23 May 1860, Page 4
 Lyttelton Times, Volume XIII, Issue 756, 4 February 1860, Page 4
 Rev. James Wilson was a neighbour at Opawa of Charles Joseph Bridge and a godparent to his son Charles Hastings Bridge (born 31 August 1855). Wilson also officiated at his godson's marriage at St Mary's Church, Timaru on 14 April 1880. ref. Diary written on board the Randolph, at Opawa and at Southbridge, 1850-1865, Christchurch City Libraries - http://christchurchcitylibraries.com/DigitalCollection/Archives/Archive205/
 Press, Volume X, Issue 1205, 17 September 1866, Page 2
 Press, Volume XXI, Issue 2396, 9 April 1873, Page 1
 Press, Volume XXVI, Issue 3482, 2 November 1876, Page 1
 Archives New Zealand - List of First Orders of Choice for Land forwarded to Godley by William Guise Brittan (Land Office), July 1850, pp. 3-4
 Lyttelton Times, Volume I, Issue 12, 29 March 1851, Page 6
 The Expansion of Settlement in Early Christchurch, 1850-62, page 100, David Charles Retter, 1977. http://hdl.handle.net/10092/1460
 Press, Volume LXVIII, Issue 14326, 11 April 1912, Page 10
 Ashburton Guardian, Volume XXI, Issue 6160, 5 January 1904, Page 3
 Euphemia Louisa Fell was the daughter of Katherine Gardiner the first cousin of Cecilia Gardiner, afterwards Mrs. W. Wilson of Edinburgh.
 "England Births and Christenings, 1538-1975," index, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/J76S-8TP : accessed 01 May 2014), George Arthur Emilius Ross, 17 May 1829; citing Dorchester, Dorset, England, reference item 9 p 37; FHL microfilm 1279495.
 Press, Volume II, Issue 47, 5 April 1862, Page 4
 Lyttelton Times, Volume XX, Issue 1127, 29 August 1863, Page 5
 JOURNAL OF IRISH AND SCOTTISH STUDIES, Volume 6, Issue 1, Autumn 2012, National Cosmopolitanisms, Published by Aberdeen University Press in association with The Research Institute of Irish and Scottish Studies ISSN 1753-2396. http://www.abdn.ac.uk/riiss/content-images/JISSv6.1_OpenAccess.pdf
 Press, Volume LXIV, Issue 19256, 10 March 1928, Page 23
 Wairarapa Daily Times, Volume LVII, Issue 8793, 26 June 1907
 Mr C. F. M. Ross The death has occurred at Waverley of Mr Charles Frederic McKenzie Ross, aged 70 years. Born in Christchurch and educated at Christ's College, Mr Ross entered the Land Transfer Office at Christchurch and from there moved to Invercargill. During this time he studied law and passed his barrister's and solicitor's examinations. His studies completed, he went to England and practised law in London, but owing to ill-health which necessitated an open air life he left that position and joined a brother farming in Australia. Later he returned to New Zealand and took up land in the Waverley district, where he had resided for the last 45 years.
Press, Volume LXXI, Issue 21601, 11 October 1935
 Patea Mail, 27 September 1939
 The Argus (Melbourne), Tue 29 May 1928, Page 1
 The Argus (Melbourne) Thursday 20 May 1943, page 2
No. "74. James Wilson. 50 acres in the Christchurch district,commencing on the Heathcote River Road, 50 links below the south-east corner of Section 71, following- the north-eastern boundary of the said section 15 chains 20 links, thence in a northerly direction 321 chains, then at a right angle in an easterly direction 14 chains, and then in a southerly direction 39 chains to the starting- point, and numbered 74 on the chief surveyor's map.
Lyttelton Times, Volume I, Issue 12, 29 March 1851, Page 6
On Thursday, 31st March, the East Heathcote District Road Board met ... From the Rev. J. Wilson, stating, in answer to enquiries as to whether he would allow a road across his section to make the approach to Wilson's bridge safe, that he would sell a piece for that purpose, and that the price would be £60 ... "That the offer of the Rev. J. Wilson of 25 perches of lus land for making the approach to Wilson's bridge safe, be accepted."
Press, Volume IV, Issue 448, 6 April 1864, Page 2
Rev. J. Wilson, M.A., Assistant Curate of Lower Heathcote
Otago Witness, Issue 396, 2 July 1859, Page 5
Member of the Church Property Trust
Lyttelton Times, Volume XII, Issue 703, 3 August 1859, Page 4
Member and clerical secretary of the Diocesan Synod.
Lyttelton Times, Volume XII, Issue 707, 17 August 1859, Page 4