New Zealand Exhibition
Mining, Quarrying, Metallurgy, and Mineral Products
Otago Daily Times, Issue 993, 23 February 1865, Page 5
... Canterbury's resources in building stones are illustrated by nine exhibitors; and the specimens thus brought together constitute the whole of the exhibits from the Province in Class 1. Most of the, stones will be found in the portion of the space allotted to the Province which is not under the gallery.
Mr W. G. Brittan sends several cubes of a dark blue and close-grained stone, from his Halswell Quarries, which are on the west side of Banks Peninsula, and seven miles from Christchurch; it being stated that the stone is extensively used for rubble walling, the New Council Chamber and Wesleyan Church being "principally built of it."
Serviceable looking kerbs are shown by Messrs Chalmers and Hall, from the Crighton Dale Quarry, Lyttelton.
A gray stone, from the Hoon Hay Quarries, is shown by Messrs N. and A. Ellis, in variously-worked cubes, and in a column, turned and partly polished. It is said to have been in very general use in Christchurch for six years and to have stood excellently. The quarries are seven miles from Christchurch, in hilly country, and the stone is abundant, in dykes, 17ft. wide.
A good looking almost white stone, which is said to be very easily worked and to harden with exposure, is exhibited by Messrs. Forgan and Son. It comes from the Limestone Ranges in the Weka Pass, in the northern district of the Province, and 40 miles from Christchurch.
Messrs. Graham and Waybourne, of Lyttelton, are exhibitors of freestone from a quarry at Governor's Bay, at the head of the harbor, and graystone from a quarry on the Sumner Road, near Lyttelton. The latter is used in the Presbyterian Church and the parsonage at Lyttelton; and it is stated to make first-rate kerbing and road metal. It finishes sharply and well, judging from the mouldings worked on some of the cubes.
A whiteish stone, also, from Governor's Bay, is sent by Messrs. Hall Brothers; the specimens, being from two quarries, 50 yards apart, one mile from the beach, and on the property of Mr. P. N. Hodgson. It is used for the dressings, &c., in the Christchurch Town Hall, St. John's Church, and other buildings.
Still a third exhibitor from the head of Governor's Bay.(Mr. J. M'Cosker) sends specimens of "white sandstone," which is got at "the water's edge, about five miles from Lyttelton." It is "extensively used in the new Council Chamber and Wesleyan Church, Christchurch."
The last exhibitor is Mr P. Thompson, owner of the Bridle Path Quarry, Heathcote Valley. Mr Dobson, the engineer of the Lyttelton and Christchurch Railway, writes—"The stone forms a vertical dyke or roof about 20ft in thickness, which appears to extend in a straight direction for several miles; although, on account of its position, there are but few points at which it could be profitably worked. At Mr Thompson's quarry, the stones rises out of the steep hill side, like a wall, to the height of about 30ft, this extent of face giving unusual facilities for working the quarry, whilst the manner in which the stone thus exposed has resisted for centuries the attacks of the weather, is a test of its durability." The Christchurch Railway Terminus the new Custom House, the College Buildings, and many private residences, are examples of the use of this stone, which is of a warmish, brown color...
New Zealand Exhibition 1865
Honorary certificates have been awarded by the Juries to the following persons:-
Catalogue No: 404
Name: Forgan and Son
awarded for: Building stone from the Limestone Ranges, Weka Pass
Otago Daily Times , Issue 1080, 6 June 1865, Page 8
Forgan.- On October 26, at his residence, Timaru, Thomas Forgan, senr., aged 82 years.
Timaru Herald, Volume XXV, Issue 1576, 15 November 1876, Page 2
Born 4 February 1794
died 26 October 1876 aged 82 years
OBITUARY.MR JAMES FEATHER. Another early settler A Canterbury was removed by death yesterday morning in the person of Mr James Feather, who after some twelve months' illness, expired at his residence, Addington, at the age of seventy-four years. Mr Feather was born hi the town of Ovenden, Yorkshire, and came to Lyttelton on May 9, 1860, in the ship Gananogue. Shortly after his arrival he was engaged by the late Mr F. Thompson to work the Hoon Hay quarries, from which the stone of which the Provincial Council Chamber was constructed was procured. Some of the stone was sent to the London Exhibition of 1861. Mr Feather remained in the position of manager until Mr Thompson disposed of the quarries. After this he entered into partnership with the late Mr J. Forgan, and with him opened the Halswell quarries, and afterwards was interested in other quarries on the Hoon Hay portion of the Port Hills, near the present Victoria Park. After a year or two the Halswell quarry passed into the hands of the original Lincoln Road Tramway Company, which laid a line with wooden rails from the foot of the hills to bring the stone into town. To prevent this the Road Board erected a toll-bar on the Lincoln Road just opposite where the present show grounds stand, but after the authorities had been set at defiance by the Tram Company a few times, and the bar destroyed once or twice, it was removed. Mr Feather then worked the Dyer's Pass quarries for a few years, and afterwards bought the property on which the present Star Hotel at Addington stands, and opened Feather's Hotel there, carrying on the business until 1877, when he retired, and has not been actively engaged in business since. Since that time he had acquired a good deal of property in the Loburn district, and upon this his sons are now settled. He was always a staunch supporter of the Canterbury Agricultural and Pastoral Association, and for many years he was a member of the committee of that society. From the time that the Canterbury Saleyards Company was formed until his death he had been one of its directors, and had always taken a lively interest in its welfare, attending the yards regularly until twelve months ago, and most of the improvements which have been made there have been carried out under his supervision. As a mark of respect the flags at the yards yesterday were at half-mast. He was also for many years a member of the Riccarton Road Board. Mr Feather leaves three sons and three daughters, one of his sons-in-law being Mr J. W. Wright, auctioneer for Messrs George King and Co.
Star, Issue 6242, 28 July 1898, Page 1