Master's House, Christ's College, Christchurch
[Architects, C. J. Mountfort, and Collins & Harman]
The design illustrated is that of a master's house, being the first instalment of a scheme which has been launched under the auspices of a joint committee appointed from the governing body of Christ's College and the Old Boys' Association, for the purpose of replacing the present wooden buildings, and also for erecting along the frontage on Rolleston Avenue buildings for class-rooms, schools, etc. The building which the present one is superseding was erected in 1858. This east front of the new building, the foundation stone of which was laid by His Excellency the Governor, on 22nd February, will be in Halswell rubble, with white stone dressings, the other elevations being in brick. It is 122 feet long and 72 feet wide. The main elevation fronts the quadrangle, and is three storey in height. On the ground floor entrance is gained under a cloister to the main hall 15 ft. wide. Off the hall to the right is a dining-room, 40 ft. x 18 ft. Passing out of the hall into the corridor, 7 ft. wide, on the left hand side of the hall is the commonroom, 40 ft. x 20 ft. To the westward of the corridor are the kitchen and offices. In the southern wing are situated bath-rooms, change-room, lavatories, etc. The north wing is devoted to the master's quarters, which include private entrance hall, dining-room, study, drawing-room, maids' sitting-room, store-room, etc. On the first floor are studies, prefects' rooms, house-master's rooms, matron's rooms, work-room, servants' bed-rooms, bath-rooms, etc., and also bed-rooms, bath-rooms, etc., for the resident master. On the second floor are five dormitories for boarders, house-master's bed-room, linen-rooms, sick-room, nurse's room, bath-rooms, etc. The architects for the building are C. J. Mountfort and Collins and Harman, all of whom are old boys of Christ's College. The builders are D. Scott and Son, the contract price being £9500.
Progress, Volume III, Issue 7, 1 May 1908, Page 236